Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Overcoming the fear of approaching people

Tonya Russell in front of one of the eyeglass
displays at the newly remodeled Van Optical in
Sylvania, Ohio
When I walked into my optomitrist office yesterday, I realized this would work perfectly for my profile assignment in photojournalism. The owner of the store, Kim VanTulien, was at the front desk. I asked her if I could photograph the store, her employees and customers. She was very excited, since they were in the final steps of a remodel.
Russell helps customer Miah Ruij who is picking
up her new glasses today.
I was at the back of the store,when I started taking my pictures . The florescent lights and reflections from glasses played havic on my camera. This wasn't something I had taken into consideration. It was dark in some spots and even though I tried to open my lens up as much as possible I still couldn't get a good shot. I had to get more creative and talk to my subjects if I was going to be successful here.

Talking to strangers is always a challenge to me, but I took a deep breath and started chatting with them. I even asked Tonya to move to a desk at the front of the store. This enabled me to get a nice shot of her face in better lighting.  When I looked at the clock I noticed that it had been twenty minutes from the moment I entered the store until the time the photos were done. It's amazing how fast you can complete these assignments once you find your subject and overcome your fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment