Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Millbury isn't always a quiet little town

Paul Fuller and Mike Krause prepare to
begin applying the new roof.
On October 11th I drove through Millbury, Ohio searching for people engaged in an activity for my feature assignment. Millbury is a typical mid western small town, if you blink you might miss it! I wasn't sure that I would find a feature adequate to shoot. I did notice the church was being re roofed when I was driving to the bank.
While I was at the Genoa Bank it was robbed! A woman gave the teller a note and though I didn't know what was going on, I did feel that it wasn't business as usual in there. This was confirmed after she ran out and the employees locked the doors. After talking to detectives I noticed the media arriving and asked if I could take pictures for my photojournalism class. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to. There went my feature assignment! I remember the roofers at the church and headed back down main street.
Holt Roofing tackles the high peaks of the church
as they tear off the old roof.
Holt Roofing supervisor Mike Krause and his foreman Paul Fuller were just hooking their harnesses as I arrived.With my heart in my throat I approached the church. I am usually not good at approaching strangers but after the bank incident I didn't feel it could get worse. During a brief conversation Krause said that it was the first roof in 35 years for the church and a rare opportunity due to the steep peaks and sharp valleys. I walked around the church taking the photographs trying to get an overview as well as close ups that would tell the story. After arriving back home and reviewing the last couple hours I'm reconsidering my theory that Millbury is a sleepy little town. The action is there, even when you're not really looking!
Logan Mann and Rory Trazleu rush
 to rip off the old roof
as their supervisor yells
"ten minutes, guys!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment